There is a long history of non-culinary uses for edible mushrooms. An article published in June 2020 in the journal Alternative and Complementary Therapies claims that the first documented use of mushrooms for medical purposes dates back to 450 B.C. According to Johns Hopkins Medicine, psilocybin mushrooms have recently gained popularity as a potential treatment for mental health conditions like depression.
It's no wonder that mushroom extract supplements have started showing up everywhere, even in coffee, given the growing interest in mushrooms as a functional food. These items are promoted as being able to alleviate anxiety and treat Cancer.
Would a pill of mushrooms or a cup of coffee do the trick? What follows is the consensus of scholars and professionals.
Let's dig into this post and find the mushroom types and supplements before jumping to know the benefits of mushroom supplements.
Mushroom Supplements- What are they?
Extracts or powders made from mushrooms are known as mushroom extract supplements. People have tried mushroom extracts for various ailments, including seasonal allergies, sleeplessness, Cancer, colds, and inflammation.
Capsules, powders, liquid extracts, mouth sprays, teas, coffees, gummies, and even items containing cannabidiol (CBD) are some of the forms you can find. The mushroom extracts in some supplements come from a single variety, whereas in others, the mushrooms come from various sources.
The Types of Mushroom Supplements
Adaptogenic mushrooms are commonly found in dietary supplements, and some of the most common ones are:
- Lion's Mane
- Aspergillus Blazei
- Polyporus umbellatus
- Turkey Tail
Mushroom Supplement Benefits You Shouldn't Ignore
Let's discuss the mushroom supplements benefit that one can enjoy.
- Improves immunological function: According to the research summarized in Drug Discovery Today, medicinal mushrooms have the potential to modify the immune system and combat cancer.
- Prevents Cancer and heart disease: The research published in Frontiers in Pharmacology suggested that mushroom extracts could be helpful in the fight against these two prevalent chronic diseases.
- Effects on inflammation: Some mushrooms have anti-inflammatory properties, according to a review published in Nutrients in May 2020; however, randomized clinical trials are still required.
- Anti-cancer defense: The Nutrients study also discovered that some mushrooms and mushroom extracts could inhibit tumor growth.
- Protecting against poisons and diseases: The mushrooms' components may help the body withstand infections and toxins, according to a paper published in Frontiers in Pharmacology.
- Depression and anxiety treatment: Some varieties of mushrooms were found to be effective in treating these mental health issues, according to a paper published in Frontiers in Pharmacology.
- Skin anti-aging properties: In September 2021, the journal of the Korean Society of Mushroom Science published a paper indicating that mushroom extracts showed promise as ingredients in anti-wrinkle treatments.
- Improved efficiency in sports: The Journal of Exercise Physiology Online reported in June 2021 on a tiny study of long-distance runners that discovered certain medicinal mushrooms could increase endurance.
The potential and proven benefits of mushroom supplements are discussed in this article, which may raise your desire to try them. We suggest you buy a max genomic product if you're looking to buy mushroom supplements since it includes 10+ natural ingredients plus medical mushrooms that help you alleviate your energy levels.